Main content of the website

Billing and Payments

How are water & sewer rates set?

The Town of Melita water and sewer rates are set by By-Law, which must first be approved by the Public Utilities Board of Manitoba by a stringent application process. This application process requires public be notified of any changes and allow opportunity for question and appeal.

The number of days allotted for payment, penalty amounts and disconnection notifications are all mandated through Public Utilities Board Order 39/09.

Utility bills 

Water and Sewer Utility Bills are prepared quarterly in March, June, September, and December. The Due Date on the bill is the last date by which payment should be received by the Town of Melita. 

Any utility bill payments not received in the office by the due date will have a penalty calculated on the overdue amount of 1.25% and every month thereafter.  

How to pay your bill

1. By mail - (cheque or money order), together with the bottom portion of your utility invoice. Please ensure payments are received in our office on or before the due date to avoid penalties. Make cheque payable to the Town of Melita. Cheques may be postdated to the due date. The Town of Melita will also file postdated cheques if you would like to fill out ahead of time.

2. In-person - Bring your utility invoice and payment to the Town office at 79 Main Street, between 8:30 am - 5:00 pm Monday - Friday. DEBIT available (we do not accept credit card payment)

3. 24-hour drop-off - Drop an envelope containing payment (cheque or money order) and the bottom portion of your utility invoice in the mailbox at the main entrance of the Town office. Please do not place cash in the dropbox.

4. Online Banking - We are registered as an electronic banking payee. If you subscribe to this service, simply log on to your bank's website to make your electronic payment by the due date. Please allow 3-5 business days for your payment to be processed.

Address changes

Please notify the town office of any changes for utilities, property assessment, and taxation purposes.  Failure to receive a tax bill does not relieve the owner from the obligation to pay taxes when due.

What to do if you get a large water bill?

Take a look at your water meter. Shine a flashlight on the head of the meter to “wake it up.” If you see a tap symbol in the top left hand corner, you have a leak. A flashing tap means an intermittent leak (not consistent).

To start checking for leaks within your home we recommend the following steps:

1. Take a reading of your meter at night right before you go to bed and again first thing in the morning before anyone uses water. If the read has changed overnight, you know there is something leaking.

2. Start identifying possible culprits – put food colouring in your toilet tanks and leaving it for ½ hour. If the colouring seeps into the bowl, you know it is your toilet. Check your water softener and all taps (inside and out).
If you still cannot find the problem you may need to contact a plumber.

Even a very small drip can cost you.  A typical home can lose 7600 litres to 76,000 litres (7.6 m3 to 76 m3) of water per year due to leaks.  A faucet dripping slowly at only one drop every two seconds will waste more than 3700 litres (3.7 m3) per year.  At $2.38 per cubic meter of water, a leaking toilet can increase your quarterly water bill by as little as $70 and sometimes up to $1500.