There are 2 principle factors that determine the amount of property tax:
1. Assessment - Market value of your property based on 2 years prior. The assessment is determined by the Provincial Assessment Office.
2. Mill Rate - Determined by the municipality when the current year's budget is developed.
Questions about your assessment?
The Provincial Assessment Office is responsible for determining assessments on properties.
Information on assessment can be obtained here.
Questions related to the assessment on your property can be directed to the Souris Assessment Office at 1-866-262-9854.
Deadline for payment
- Property taxes are due October 29th
- Penalties of 1.25% per month will be added to outstanding taxes November 1st and on the 1st of each month thereafter, until paid.
How to pay your property taxes
1. In person at the town office, 79 Main St., Melita, Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (closed during the lunch hour). We accept cash, cheque or Debit. PLEASE NOTE CREDIT CARDS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.
2. Online banking, allow 3-5 business days for posting. The date the Town receives the payment is the date considered paid. Payee information is Melita (Town): Property Tax; the account number is your property tax roll number.
3. Drop-off a post-dated cheque at any time prior to the due date.
4. 24-hour drop box located on the front entrance door at the town office.
5. By mail to Box 364, Melita, Manitoba, R0M 1L0, ensuring we receive your payment by cheque or money order on or before the due date. Postmarks will not be accepted as proof of payment. Please reference your tax roll number.
Any amount shown as arrears represents the balance owing as of May 31st of the taxation year. An arrears balance on your tax bill could exist for a variety of reasons. For example, prior year’s taxes have not been paid in full, an outstanding utility charge has been applied to taxes or the prior year tax payment was received late and monthly penalties are outstanding. Please ensure your payments include the monthly penalty on the arrears portion of your tax bill up to October 1st. Contact the Town office for a current balance if you are unsure.
Please notify the town office of any changes for utilities, property assessment, and taxation purposes. Failure to receive a tax bill does not relieve the owner from the obligation to pay taxes when due.