Development Permits

  • font size :A
  • A
  • A

When do I need a Development Permit?

7.2 A development Permit is required for any of the following:

  1. Subject to 7.3, the erection, construction, enlargement, structural alteration or placing of a building or structure;
  2. The establishment of a use of land or a building or structure;
  3. The change of a use of land or a building or structure from the existing use to a permitted or conditional use;
  4. The alteration or enlargement of an approved permitted or conditional use.

7.3 Every owner shall be required to obtain a development permit prior to the commencement of development, including the commencement of construction or relocation of any building or structure, except as provided in section 7.4 following. The issuance of a development permit in respect of a building or structure does not affect the obligation to obtain a building permit or other permit while they are required under the building by-law for such a building or structure, nor does it relieve the owner from the responsibility of obtaining any other permit or approval that may be required by any other local or provincial administrative body, including business licenses, environmental licenses, highway access permits, and similar approvals.

7.4 A development permit is not required for the following:

  1. The maintenance, replacement or restoration of building components and finishes, provided that the size of the building or structure is not materially increased, or the structural load carrying capacity of any component is not reduced.
  2. The erection, construction, enlargement, structural alteration or placing of the following as accessory structures:
  1. Landscaping features except for deeper ponds;
  2. Signs (not including advertising signs in excess of 50 sq. ft. in area);
  3. Lighting;
  4. Flagpoles;
  5. Sheds and buildings for the shortage of domestic equipment and supplies with a floor area of one-hundred (100) square feet or less;
  6. Aerials, antennas, dishes, towers, or lines for television, radio, satellite, or communication services
  7. Garden houses or children’s playhouses;
  8. Water supply wells and private sewage disposal systems which are subject to provincial approval;
  9. Unenclosed Patios; and
  10. Temporary signs and notices, including real estate signs.

7.5 Despite not requiring a development permit, all things listed in preceding Section 7.4 shall be subject to the requirements of this by-law.

7.6 An application for a development permit shall be made by the owner or owners of the site of any proposed development, or a person authorized in writing by them.

7.7 An application for a development permit shall be accompanied by plans drawn to scale showing the following:

  1. The shape and dimensions of the site to be used or built on;
  2. The location and dimensions of the existing buildings and structures;
  3. The location and dimensions of the proposed building, structure, enlargement or alteration, including separation distances from site boundaries;
  4. The use or uses of each existing and proposed building and structure, or of the land, and the area to be occupied by each use;
  5. The location of vehicular access and utility connections;
  6. and shall include any other information required by the Development Officer to determine compliance with this By-law.

7.8 An Application for a development permit shall be accompanied by the fee prescribed by Council.

Thinking about building a fence?

The maximum allowable height for a fence (or hedge serving as a fence) in a required front yard shall be three (3) feet above grade.

Fences that adhere to any height restrictions stated previously are to be located on private property including locations close to but not touching established site lines, shall be allowed subject to the issuance of a development permit.

Fences that are to be located on established site lines (i.e. the legal limits of a parcel of land) shall require the owner to secure a development permit under this By-law and, depending on circumstances, the owner and any neighboring owner may be required to enter into an agreement (setting down individual responsibilities and the sharing of costs for surveying, construction, maintenance, and demolition of such fences) and this development agreement shall be presented to the Development Officer prior to the issuance of the required permit (s) and , depending on content, such agreements may be required to be registered in the Land Titles Office as a caveat against the affected titles.

Thinking about putting in a hot tub or a swimming pool?

Pools with a water depth of greater than two (2) feet, including above-ground, in-ground, portable or permanent types, may be permitted as accessory uses to residential or commercial development provided that :

  1. The pool is located not closer than five (5) feet to any side or rear lot line;
  2. The pool is protected by a fence with lockable gates and of suitable construction and height to ensure the safety of children and guard against uninvited guests;
  3. A development permit is issued under this By-law; and,
  4. A building permit is issued under the local Building By-law.

Download the form by clicking the link below:

Permit Application